Free tickets. Free teacher workshops. Thousands of students.
Students experience Goodman Theatre productions free of charge through the School Matinee Series (SMS), the Goodman’s flagship Education program. Participating Chicago high schools receive standards-based teacher professional development, arts-integrated curriculum across subject areas, production-specific study guides, and tickets to Goodman Student Matinees.
Throughout the school year, Goodman Education staff work with teachers throughout the year to integrate play content and the arts into specific curriculum across all subject areas, creating a series that not only gives students a rich theatergoing experience, but also aids in the development of critical thinking skills and sparks curiosity and enthusiasm for learning. Math, science and other non-humanities teachers are encouraged to work in teams with drama, English and history teachers.
School Matinee Series Partner Schools Receive:
- Free tickets, up to 100 per school, which includes both students and chaperones, to select Goodman productions listed on page three of this application. New schools attend two student matinees their first year – A Christmas Carol – and an additional production in the latter half of the season, either How to Catch Creation or Sweat. Schools will attend an additional production each subsequent year in the program, up to 4 shows a year. Each matinee is followed by a post-show discussion with the cast.
- All student matinees begin at 11:00am. Schools are expected to be at the theater by 10:30am to be seated.
- Performances can run between 1 hour and 30 minutes to 3 hours, depending on the show.
- Post-show discussions are approximately 30 minutes long.
- Student matinee dates can be found below.
- Professional development workshops designed to increase teacher capacity for integrating the arts across the curriculum. Teachers also receive online curriculum resources in support of each show. Materials tailored to specific classroom’s needs are available upon request. Each teacher also attends a free preview performance of the show to enhance their lesson and unit planning.
- Access to the script, recorded audio-synopses, and custom-developed supplementary materials. A printed classroom set is available upon request.
- Complimentary tickets for parents and guardians to preview an evening or weekend performance of the show their students will see or for students to share their experience at the Goodman with a parent or guardian.
- Complimentary ticket for substitute and coverage teachers to attend a performance at the Goodman as a thanks for their support of their fellow teachers and students
- Financial assistance with buses and substitute teachers, based on need.
- Custom-tailored workshop for partner schools, upon request, and based on availability.
- Artist visits, upon request, and based on availability.
Applications for the School Matinee Series for the 2018/2019 Season are now closed. Check back in the summer for information about the 2019/2020 Season. Any questions? Email SchoolMatineeSeries@GoodmanTheatre.org.