Disney Musicals in Schools is a program that develops sustainable musical theatre programs in public elementary schools.
Up to five schools will be selected each year to participate in the program free of charge. Any Chicago, Waukegan, Berwyn, Cicero or Calumet elementary school that is Title 1 eligible, or has at least a 75% Free and reduced lunch rate is eligible to apply for the Disney Musicals in School program. Stay tuned for information regarding the 2018/2019 program and application process!
This program presents a special opportunity to introduce the collaborative art of musical theatre to your school, strengthen your arts programming, and develop partnerships among students, faculty, staff, and the greater community. Through the 17-week program, teaching artists will work with students and teachers, both crafting the school’s musical, and training teachers to become directors, music directors, choreographers and stage managers, building a tradition of musical theater in their school.
Goals of Disney Musicals in Schools:
- Create sustainable musical theatre programs in public elementary schools.
- Provide school faculty with the training and tools necessary to support student performance and production, and to empower them to do so.
- Develop a critical awareness and appreciation of the arts within the school.
- Develop a strong community, including students, parents, faculty, staff, and neighbors.
- Expose students and school faculty to the wide spectrum of skills that are developed when producing a piece of musical theatre, including critical thinking, problem solving, ensemble building, communication, self-confidence, and interpersonal skills.
Selected schools will receive:
- A free performance license to a 30-minute Disney KIDS musical (available shows include: 101 Dalmations, Aladdin, The Aristocats, Cinderella, The Jungle Book, The Lion King and Winnie the Pooh).
- Free ShowKit Materials, including a director’s guide, student scripts, cross-curricular activities, accompaniment and rehearsals CDS, and a choreography DVD.
- Free in school support from Goodman Theatre Teaching Artists.
Want to apply? Check back in September for the application for the 2018-2019 Season!
Questions, comments, concerns? Email: DMIS@GoodmanTheatre.org
Check out the showcase performance from 2017's Musical Theater Intensive!