Director of Digital Strategy
Reports to Director of Marketing
Type: Full Time Exempt
Join the dynamic team of arts professionals at the Goodman Theatre! Chicago’s theater since 1925, Goodman Theatre is a not-for-profit arts and community organization in the heart of the Loop, distinguished by the excellence and scope of its artistic programming and community engagement. The theater’s artistic priorities include new play development (more than 150 world or American premieres), large scale musical theater works and reimagined classics. As a cultural and community organization, Goodman Theatre is committed to using the art of theater for a better Chicago. Using the tools of the theatrical profession, the Goodman’s Education and Engagement programs aim to develop generations of citizens who understand the cultures and stories of diverse voices.
We at Goodman Theatre are storytellers who believe that a diversity of people, ideas and cultures in our organization enriches both the art on stage and our civic engagement. In our workplace, we strive to reflect the communities we serve, and make space in which each individual is empowered to bring their full, authentic self to work. The Goodman values equity, diversity and inclusion and is committed to approaching our work through the practice of anti-racism. The inclusion of difference(s) such as ability, age, background, beliefs, ethnicity, gender, gender expression, race, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status and all other identities represented across staff, board, artists and audiences help make us better equipped to live these values—on stage and off. Learn more at www.GoodmanTheatre.org/Accountability.
The Director of Digital Strategy works directly with the Director of Marketing to provide best practice consultation and implementation of strategies for Goodman Theatre’s digital presence. Main responsibilities include: overseeing strategy for the theater’s website, social and e-marketing presence, while optimizing sales and return on investment. The position manages the Digital Marketing Associate.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
Overall Digital Strategy
- Develop comprehensive digital strategies in support of Goodman Theatre’s single ticket sales, membership sales, PR, audience development & engagement and fundraising goals
- Advise Goodman leadership and department heads on best practices in digital marketing
- Work with third party technology developers & partners to ensure proper implementation and tracking of digital marketing efforts
- Analyze and report on trends in digital behavior of Goodman patrons
- Project manage all website development efforts, serving as primary liaison between web developers and Goodman staff
- Manage updates and maintenance of GoodmanTheatre.org, including troubleshooting website issues when needed.
- Train key staff on using the website content management system (CMS)
- Analyze and report on data from Google Analytics to monitor website engagement
- Work with the Digital Marketing Associate to build and deploy HTML emails on behalf of the Goodman using WordFly software
- Oversee the Goodman’s institutional email calendar and schedule
- Create segmented lists within the database to target customers with emails
- Provide email support to other users throughout the institution
- Analyze and report on email marketing metrics
- Develop social media plans in support of ticket sales, memberships and donations
- Oversee the implementation of paid advertising campaigns on social platforms
- Create audience engagement opportunities in support of Goodman’s work and artists
- Keep the Goodman advised of emerging platforms and best practices in social media
- Report on overall social media efforts and advertising
- Create digital marketing content strategies for the Goodman in concert with the marketing and communications team
- Plan and manage cross-departmental digital content strategy meetings
- Develop schedules and deadlines for all digital content
- Write copy in support of digital efforts using best practices for each platform
- Help other departments develop engaging digital content for their own campaigns
Other duties assigned by Director of Marketing. This position may be required to work occasional special events outside of regular work hours.
- 5-7 years of professional experience focused on digital marketing and communications
- 3-5 years of experience of website management using a content management system
- 3-5 years of experience with Tessitura (or other CRM database)
- Deep familiarity with managing online communities on a variety of social media platforms
- Excellent project and time management skills
- Excellent writing and editing skills required
- Solid knowledge of HTML and Photoshop required
- The ideal candidate will have a passion for the performing arts and/or non-profit organizations
- Experience managing a team member preferred
- Solid background in Google Analytics preferred
- Self-starter and ability to work in fast moving environment necessary
Goodman Theatre is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. By dedicating itself to three guiding principles—quality, diversity and community—the Goodman Theatre seeks to be the premier cultural organization in Chicago, providing productions and programs that make an essential contribution to the quality of life in our city.
We are an inclusive and accessible employer; successful candidates will have experience working with diverse groups of people and will demonstrate a deep commitment to advancing equity and inclusion at the Goodman Theatre.
Interested candidates should CLICK HERE to upload a cover letter and resume. Please indicate in your cover letter how you heard about this open position by listing the specific website or posting location.
Additionally, please briefly describe where your strengths align with the position responsibilities and what makes working at Goodman Theatre an exciting opportunity for you.
No phone calls, please.