Goodman Theatre is currently seeking to fill the following positions:
Subscription Sales Representatives
Goodman Theatre is seeking to add sales superstars to our Subscription Sales staff! Join us in selling our fantastic 90th Anniversary Season and spreading the news of the award winning shows produced on our stages. A background in telemarketing is helpful, however not required. A love for theater is a must. This is a part time position including commission. We are looking to fill positions on both our AM and PM shifts. Please call 312-443-8015 and leave a message for Casey telling us why you would like to work at the Goodman, any previous telemarketing experience you may have, and your schedule availability. If we are interested, we will follow up with you.
Part-Time House Manager
Goodman Theatre seeks a part-time House Manager. The House Management team provides customer service, supervises front-of-house staff and volunteer ushers, insures public safety, and manages concessions and retail. Interested candidates should possess excellent customer service and organizational skills, and must have previous house management experience. This is a part-time position with evening and weekend hours. Goodman Theatre is an equal opportunity employer; women and minorities are encouraged to apply. Please send cover letter and resume via email to FOHJobs@GoodmanTheatre.org or via fax to 312.443.3821. No phone calls please.
Guest Services Manager
Reports to: Special Events and Operations Manager
Posted: September 12, 2014
Summary: The Guest Services Manager is an integral part of the Goodman Theatre’s front-of-house department. This position house manages performances and events, and is responsible for the safety and security of visitors and staff. The Guest Services Manager is also responsible for managing the Goodman Theatre’s information desk and staff, with a focus on providing customer service to all patrons and visitors. This position ensures all guests are greeted and assisted as they enter the Goodman lobby. This is a full-time year-round position with regular evening and weekend hours. The position is salaried, with an employee benefits package.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for providing extraordinary customer service for all visitors
- Recruit, hire and train staff for the information desk in the Goodman lobby
- Schedule staff accordingly and prepare payroll on a weekly basis
- Coordinate the volunteer usher program
- Maintain the building hours of operation by insuring the building opens and closes at the appropriate times
- Manage the emergency response procedures and train staff accordingly
- Act as first responder for building emergencies
- House manage performances
- Insure that all Goodman patrons have a superior experience at the theatre
- Perform other duties as assigned
Experience and Qualifications:
- Over 2 years of experience in customer service management
- Excellent customer service skills
- Proven supervisory skills
- Able to work and think independently or as part of a team
- Must love working with all kinds of people
- Must thrive in a fast paced environment
- Must be skilled at problem solving
Goodman Theatre is an equal opportunity employer; women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Send cover letter, resume, and salary history via email to FOHJobs@GoodmanTheatre.org or via fax to 312.553.7234. No phone calls. Please indicate in your email or cover letter how you heard about this open position by listing the specific website or posting location.
Scene Shop Apprentice
Reports to: Technical Director
Posted: September 11, 2014
Summary: The Goodman Theatre seeks a Scene Shop Apprentice to work under the supervision of the Technical Director. The position provides an individual the ability to develop scenic carpentry skills and gain experience working in a professional scene shop. The employee will be given projects on a per show basis, and will work on load-in and load-out crews. The employee will also assist the Technical Director and Scene Shop Foreman with general shop tasks and routine maintenance.
Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Construct scenery as specified by technical or designer drawings
- Uphold Goodman Theatre quality and construction standards
- Participate in load in, load out and note sessions
- Assist with receiving materials & supplies
- Comply with the Goodman Theatre Health and Safety Manual
- Help to maintain a safe and clean work environment
- Work with the Scene Shop Foreman on Shop and power tool maintenance
- Collect and properly store all portable power tools during clean up
- Drive a 15 passenger van in a safe and legal manner; responsibilities include procuring supplies, delivering materials, and transporting staff
- Assist other departments as assigned
- Working knowledge of theatrical construction techniques including metal/wood working, finishing, tools and hardware
- Basic knowledge in theatrical rigging and automation/motion control beneficial
- Previous experience working in a professional scene shop beneficial
- Ability to repeatedly lift, push or maneuver 50-70lbs., either alone or with the assistance from others as well as climb ladders and work in high places
- Work as a team member, and maintain a positive attitude at all times
- Have a clean driving record and have/or be willing to obtain an IL Driver’s license
The job is a full-time, union position under the Goodman’s collective bargaining agreement with I.A.T.S.E. Local 2, with a full benefits package. Goodman Theatre is an Equal Opportunity Employer, women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
This position is available immediately.
Interested candidates should email a cover letter, resume and 3 references to: ProductionJobs@GoodmanTheatre.org. No phone calls, please.
Senior Director of Major Gifts
Reports to: Director of Development
Posted: August 28, 2014
Summary: The Senior Director of Major Gifts (SDMG) is responsible for leading staff in the Individual Giving area to make productive and strategic use of all opportunities available to them as they solicit gifts from individuals. The SDMG is charged with maintaining a focus on moving donors through the many levels within the spectrum of individual giving. This position is also expected to devote a significant amount of time to identifying prospects and developing and executing cultivation and solicitation plans. The SDMG should possess a strong awareness of the Chicago major gift philanthropic community in the arts.
The SDMG reports directly to the Director of Development and directly supervises the Individual Giving Team. A minimum of 50% of the SDMG’s professional time should be spent working on Prospect Management for Major Gifts. An additional focus of the SDMG time should be on the expansion of the Planned Giving program and the planning and preparation for Endowment, Capital and other Major Campaign Initiatives. The SDMG manages a portfolio of Goodman Trustees as well as Major Gift donors and prospects at varying levels of engagement and capacity. The SDMG should have a strong command of fundraising strategies, techniques and persuasive writing.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- As part of the Development Department’s senior management team, work with members of the Development Department’s other areas of giving to coordinate all development activities for optimal outcomes
- Participate in the Development Department planning process by setting long range strategic goals and objectives for Major and Individual Giving; develop, evaluate and adjust, as needed, the Major and Individual Gifts annual operating plan
- Manage the oversight of the Individual Giving fundraising program toward steady growth in new support, with strong emphasis on moves management; set goals and performance benchmarks addressing revenue to be raised as well as the distribution of gifts among categories of giving
- Work with the Individual Giving Team and Research Assistant to oversee a Major Gift Prospect Management system to track prospect activity including cultivation, solicitation, stewardship and recognition
- Work with the Individual Giving Team and Research Assistant to convene regular Major Gift Prospect Management meetings to designate relationship managers, develop strategies and coordinate prospect activity
- Cultivate, solicit, and steward major individual donors with a portfolio of 50 to 75 prospects and donors
- Work with Individual Giving Team to develop and oversee donor cultivation, recognition and stewardship opportunities for major and individual donors
- Leverage special events and other recognition/benefit opportunities in a targeted manner to engage new donors or to encourage upgraded gifts
- Collaborate with volunteers to identify individual prospects; ensure that volunteers’ involvement in solicitations is targeted, focused and strategic, and that the quality of their experiences is positive
- Participate in Trustee Committee Meetings and as part of Development Department’s senior management team help develop strategies for Board, Executive and key Committee Meetings
- Develop and oversee adherence to a budget for the Annual, Endowment, Capital and Planned Giving Campaigns
- Expand the Planned Giving program, taking a proactive approach to identifying planned gift prospects and fostering widespread awareness of planned giving options
- Be competent to prepare staff, systems and prospects toward readiness for Capital and other special campaigns
- Bachelor's degree and a minimum of five years progressive experience in non-profit fundraising
- Understanding and appreciation of the Chicago arts community
- Experience in effectively managing a development team and proven track record in meeting fundraising goals and establishing area priorities
- Ability to establish solid donor relationships and secure major gifts
- Strong background in managing annual fund and capital campaigns
- Experience working with senior level volunteers as well as possessing leadership qualities needed for managing a strong Individual Gifts team
- Exceptional interpersonal, written and presentation skills; a high degree of initiative, creativity and energy, with a high level of professionalism and integrity
- Team-player with superior organizational and strong analytical skills
- Advanced knowledge and background with Excel and Tessitura (or other comparable fundraising database) is a must
Goodman Theatre is an equal opportunity employer; women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Send cover letter, resume, and salary history via email to DevelopmentJobs@GoodmanTheatre.org, or via fax to 312-553-7234. Please indicate in your email or cover letter how you heard about this open position by listing the specific website or posting location. No phone calls, please.
Reports to: Production Manager
Start Date: Negotiable
Posted: July 28, 2014
Goodman Theatre seeks a Lighting Supervisor for all productions and events in the Albert and Owen Theatres. This individual will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of the lighting department, being an integral part of producing and presenting first class productions to meet Goodman Theatre's artistic mission while maintaining a safe and effective work environment.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work in partnership with Goodman Production Staff and department heads to ensure that Goodman Theatre standards are maintained for all productions
- Communicate and collaborate with designers to implement their design
- Prepare light plot and create required paperwork for load-in
- Update and maintain documentation for all Goodman Theatre productions and special events
- Research and locate sources and supplies for production specific projects
- Schedule and supervise the electrics crew ensuring all work is accomplished in a timely, safe and efficient manner
- Ensure that all electrics crew receive, and work within, specified safety training in accordance with the Goodman Theatre’s Health and Safety Manual
- Oversee maintenance, repairs, and inventory of all lighting systems, equipment and materials
- Attend load-in, technical rehearsals, previews, and production meetings as assigned
- Work in collaboration with production manager to develop and maintain a capital plan
- Additional duties as assigned
- Must have a minimum of 5 years professional lighting experience, preferably as a lighting supervisor or master electrician; regional theatre experience beneficial
- Significant experience with ETC; EOS, ION, and ETCNet III required
- Practical experience with automated lighting and theatrical rigging required
- Must be proficient with stage electrical work, practical wiring and design, special fx design; wireless dimming. ETCP certification beneficial
- Vectorworks experience is required; AutoCAD or other CAD program knowledge is beneficial
- Ability to supervise and work with a diverse staff, experience with IATSE crews beneficial
- Periodic night and weekend work is required
- Must be able to multi-task and prioritize work on varied projects
- Willing to work as a team member and maintain a positive attitude
This is a full time position with full benefits package. Goodman Theatre is an Equal Opportunity Employer; women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter; resume and three references to: ProductionJobs@GoodmanTheatre.org. Please indicate in the cover letter how you heard about this position. No phone calls, please.
Posted: April 15, 2014
Reports to: Properties Supervisor
Start date: TBD
Duties and Responsibility:
- Construct props as directed by Props Supervisor
- Arrive on time and work in a safe and efficient manner
- Assist in maintaining a clean and safe scene shop
- Professional experience in prop construction (woodworking and welding)
- Experience with foam carving, and casting beneficial
- Ability to Climb ladders and working in high places
- Ability to repeatedly lift, push, or maneuver up to 50-70 lbs either alone or with assistance
This job is a part time, temporary, non-union position in accordance with The Goodman’s collective bargaining agreement with IATSE Local 2.
Goodman Theatre is an Equal Opportunity Employer, women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, 3 references to: AliceMaguire@GoodmanTheatre.org or fax: 312.243.9665.
Please indicate in the cover letter how you heard about this position.
Goodman Theatre seeks a part-time Security Officer for immediate employment. The security team provides building security and customer service, and ensures public safety. Must be willing to work a flexible schedule, including nights and weekends. Competitive pay. Must have superior customer service skills! Send resume with cover letter to SecurityJobs@GoodmanTheatre.org. EOE; women and minorities are encouraged to apply. No phone calls, please.
Goodman Theatre seeks a part time Custodian for immediate employment. Previous housekeeping experienced required. Must be able to repeatedly lift, push or maneuver 50+lbs, as well as climb ladders and work in high places. Must be willing to work a flexible schedule, including nights and weekends. Send resume with cover letter via email to CustodialJobs@GoodmanTheatre.org or via fax to 312.553.7234. EOE; women and minorities are encouraged to apply. No phone calls.