Click on the link below to learn more about each position, and apply.
Assistant Prop Carpenter
Director of Production
Annual Fund Coordinator
Join the dynamic team of arts professionals at the Goodman Theatre! Chicago’s theater since 1925, Goodman Theatre is a not-for-profit arts and community organization in the heart of the Loop, distinguished by the excellence and scope of its artistic programming and community engagement. The theater’s artistic priorities include new play development (more than 150 world or American premieres), large scale musical theater works and reimagined classics. As a cultural and community organization, Goodman Theatre is committed to using the art of theater for a better Chicago. Using the tools of the theatrical profession, the Goodman’s Education and Engagement programs aim to develop generations of citizens who understand the cultures and stories of diverse voices.
We at Goodman Theatre are storytellers who believe that a diversity of people, ideas and cultures in our organization enriches both the art on stage and our civic engagement. In our workplace, we strive to reflect the communities we serve, and make space in which each individual is empowered to bring their full, authentic self to work. The Goodman values equity, diversity and inclusion and is committed to approaching our work through the practice of anti-racism. The inclusion of difference(s) such as ability, age, background, beliefs, ethnicity, gender, gender expression, race, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status and all other identities represented across staff, board, artists and audiences help make us better equipped to live these values—on stage and off. Learn more at GoodmanTheatre.org/Accountability
Reporting to the Board of Trustees, and working in close partnership with the Executive Director, the Artistic Director is responsible for conceiving, developing, and implementing all aspects of the Goodman’s artistic vision. They will ensure and provide the highest level of excellence in implementing this vision through programs and performances, as well as the recruitment, development, and management of exceptional staff.
- Setting & Implementing Artistic Vision: The Artistic Director will oversee the development of a compelling artistic vision for the theater. The Artistic Director not only enables the Goodman to exceed expectations on the stage, but also to shatter assumptions in the world through its artistic vision and program. The Artistic Director will honor the guiding principles of the organization: quality, diversity and community. They will continue the Goodman’s great work, grounded in a passionate commitment to developing the classics of tomorrow.
- Internal Leadership & Management: The Artistic Director will partner effectively with the Goodman’s Executive Director and lead the organization’s artistic staff and a wide range of directors, producers, cast members, educators, artisans, and craftspeople. The Artistic Director is responsible for facilitating the continued development of an inclusive work environment, promoting strong and respectful internal communications and collaboration, and managing staff with confidence and care. They will work to evolve the Artistic Collective. The Goodman looks to its Artistic Director to champion Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, Anti-Racism and Access in all aspects of the theater’s team, culture, programming, and community. The Artistic Director and Executive Director will work together to prepare the Goodman’s annual priorities and budget for Board approval. The Artistic Director serves as chief artistic talent scout for the Goodman, and critical to the Artistic Director’s success will be their ability to recruit and develop relationships with a strong network of directors, producers, actors, and partners.
- External Leadership & Building Community: The Artistic Director will serve as an enthusiastic champion for the theater form as the external artistic face of the Goodman in Chicago, throughout the United States, and beyond. They will advance the Goodman’s profile by promoting the theater’s artistic vision and building key partnerships with other relevant organizations and creative visionaries. It is expected that the Artistic Director will partner with the Executive Director, Board, and development team to inspire financial support for the Goodman through philanthropy and innovative partnerships.
The Goodman Theatre seeks an Artistic Director who is visionary, inspiring, strategic, highly collaborative, and captivated by the opportunity to lead the organization forward through this next phase of artistic growth and excellence. In terms of the performance and personal competencies required for the position, we would highlight the following:
Artistic Vision & Strategy
- The ability to create and articulate an inspiring artistic vision for the organization; the ability to serve as the artistic heart and soul of the organization while bringing the Goodman’s mission to life; the ability to collaborate & listen, to seek the input of artists & staff, and build alignment and enthusiasm for the artistic vision and programming.
- Has an acute awareness of where theater has been, is today, and what it has the potential to become in future.
- Has demonstrated an entrepreneurial and creative approach to developing new and innovative artistic approaches that will stretch the organization artistically and push the boundaries of the industry.
- Has deep and broad connections throughout the theater community and broader arts arenas; will be able to call upon a national network to further the Goodman’s artistic vision, connectivity, and creative output.
Executing for Results
- The ability to set clear and challenging artistic goals for the Goodman while committing the organization to strong internal communication, culture, and collaboration; holds the team accountable with a spirit of transparency, fairness, and inclusivity.
- A smart risk-taker who seeks input from others to foresee possible threats or unintended consequences of decisions; makes hard decisions, admits mistakes, learns, and adapts.
- A leader who is viewed by others as having a high degree of integrity, humility, and forethought in their approach to making decisions; the ability to act in a transparent and consistent manner while always considering what is best for the organization.
- Evidence of experience in and/or deep curiosity about digital media, digital performance content capture strategy, etc.; open to piloting new approaches to build audience reach, resonance, and engagement.
Leading & Managing Teams
- The ability to attract and recruit top artistic talent, motivate the team, delegate effectively, celebrate diversity, and manage performance; widely viewed as a strong developer of others with a track record of coaching and mentoring within their organization.
- Sets a tone of open communication, trust, and respect in all aspects of management; known for making others feel heard while still being able to make executive decisions.
- The ability to persevere in the face of challenges; exhibits a steadfast resolve and relentless commitment to the highest standards of artistic quality.
- Will have earned a reputation for effectiveness in partnering with a Board or a senior management team and will be able to guide and effectively delegate to others.
Communication & Building Relationships
- Naturally connects and builds strong relationships with others, demonstrating strong emotional intelligence and an ability to communicate clearly and persuasively.
- An ability to inspire trust and followership in others through compelling energy, passion for the art form, and a spirit of positivity.
- Encourages others to share the spotlight and visibly celebrates and supports the success of the team and others around them.
- Exuberance and enthusiasm to partner with the Board of Trustees and development team around fundraising and broader resource development activities.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
- Brings deep personal commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in all aspects of their work and leadership; seeks to build an organization that is substantively diverse and reflective of the diversity of the Goodman’s communities.
- Demonstrated ability to listen to individuals who have had differing experiences in the theater world, and to create open and inclusive spaces and platforms for those voices.
- Continuously opens lines of communication and sponsorship with historically excluded communities to broaden access to and engagement with the Goodman.
- Embraces diversity, equity, and inclusion as cornerstones of all organizational and artistic decisions.
Personal Competencies & Character
- A leader who is self-reflective and aware of their own limitations; leads by example and drives the organization's performance with an attitude of continuous improvement by being open to feedback.
- Confidence balanced with self-awareness and humility; possesses strong empathy, a keen sense of humor, and kindness; makes others feel welcome, heard, and at ease.
- Cares for the quality of the art being created and the well-being of the company above their own ego.
The Goodman requires proof of full vaccination and booster. New employees who are not fully vaccinated as of the date of hire are required to be fully vaccinated within 45 days of hire and provide twice-weekly proof of a negative COVID-19 test prior to being fully vaccinated. Further details will be provided upon hire.
HOW TO APPLY
Russell Reynolds Associates has been exclusively retained for this search. Given the need for confidentiality throughout this process, prospective candidates are invited to reach out directly to Russell Reynolds Associates at GoodmanArtisticDirector@russellreynolds.com with a resume and brief explanation of interest. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential. The Goodman Theatre is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, race, national origin, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected veteran.