More Critical Praise for "Smokefall"

More Critical Praise for "Smokefall"

Posted by: at 10/08/2014 11:57 AM

Chicago's top critics are raving about. Watch these new interviews with Chicago Tribune's Chris Jones and the Chicago Sun-Times' Hedy Weiss to hear more.

Chris Jones on "On Stage," CBS Chicago

"The new play at the Goodman is, without question, the best new play of 2014."

Hedy Weiss on "Chicago Tonight." WTTW-Ch. 11

"I’ve never seen an actor command a stage, at any age, like [Mike Nussbaum]. Sensational!"

• On Stage

Now through Oct 26, 2014
    Written by Noah Haidle
    Directed by Anne Kauffman

• Posted by: barbara wilson at 10/09/2014 09:35 PM
    Your theatre is MUCH TOO COLD. Please turn up the temperature a couple of degrees. The second act temp was much more bearable. I thoroughly enjoyed Smokefall and the interplay of generations and relationships. The scene with the fetuses in the womb was hilarious - excellent timing and acting. KUdos to Mike Nussbaum for such an active role and costume changes at age 90!
  • Posted by: Hal Stern at 10/12/2014 12:30 AM
    I read that Chris Jones calls "Smokefall" the best new play of 2014. How about calling it the best play of 2014 and forget the "new" part. As far as I'm concerned it's the best new play I've seen at the Goodman in many years. This play has it all: intelligence, pathos, creativity, poetry, great dialog, great monolog, prfofundity. It is precisely for lack of plays like this that I discontinued my Goodman subscription. I got sick and tired of the incomprehensible attraction of the Goodman thaetre for the pretentious sophomoric self-conscious pseudo intellectual plays of Sara Ruhl, Rebecca Gilman and Regina Taylor among others. Bravo for "Smokefall"!!!
  • Posted by: Joanie at 10/12/2014 08:15 PM
    Loved Smokefall even better the second time. My husband and I picked up more symbolism and had more debates. "What is the purpose of life?" Which of those fetuses had a better perspective? Thank you for bringing back such a fresh and meaningful play!
  • Posted by: Terry Regan at 10/12/2014 10:54 PM
    Saw Smokefall this afternoon, very taken with the fi1st act, and very much with all of the performances, the second act seemed crowded, but in the end , when all came home - wonderful.
  • Posted by: Hal Stewart at 10/17/2014 06:03 AM
    Saw Smokefall last night --- loved it! ! Am urging friends who aren't Goodman subscribers to be sure to see it. You don't want to miss this outstanding play and cast.