Breakfast with Richard Sherman and Chris Jones

Breakfast with Richard Sherman and Chris Jones

Posted by: Hank Greene at 07/01/2013 03:35 PM

Richard Sherman’s classic songs will be heard all summer long at the Goodman as The Jungle Book opens runs through August 11. But this past Saturday guests at our special event—Breakfast with Richard Sherman—were treated to an exclusive performance from the man himself. Joined by Chicago Tribune theater critic Chris Jones, Sherman recounted his early days as a songwriter, the influence of his father, his lifelong collaboration with his brother (Robert B. Sherman), working with Walt Disney, and, of course, the stories behind many of the musical masterpieces we know and love today. Along the way, he delighted with renditions of his most well-known melodies, from Mary Poppins classics like “Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious,” to Jungle Book favorites like “I Wanna Be Like You.” Mr. Sherman also played some of the famous songs he wrote for the Disneyland amusement park, including the theme from The Enchanted Tiki Room, “The Carousel of Progress” and the infectious worldwide hit, “It’s a Small World (After All).” The charm of Richard Sherman’s songs was exceeded only by the charm of Sherman himself, whose warmth and exuberant personality enchanted the crowd and gave them the show of a lifetime.

If you were at the Breakfast with Richard Sherman, share your favorite memories and songs from this incredible event in our comments section below!

• Posted by: Connie Davis Lawrence at 07/01/2013 05:49 PM
    Please thank Mr. Sherman from the bottom of our hearts...he has brought such joy to this world through his HAPPY music, lyrics and creative genius. My husband, daughter and I felt blessed to have experienced this very special morning and left the Goodman Theatre humming, singing and HAPPY!
  • Posted by: Steve Coleman at 07/01/2013 06:04 PM
    I loved it. The man wrote the soundtrack of my youth. He is still writing the sounds that I want to hear forever. BRAVO. Well done.
  • Posted by: Doug at 07/01/2013 07:41 PM
    It was quite a surprise to learn that he wrote "Let's Get Together" from the original Parent Trap movie, a film and top 40 hit that I recall from my boyhood. Many pop and film songs from 40 or 50 years ago are quaint and corny now, but seeing and hearing the 85 year old composer knock them out on the piano and sing them as if he'd written them a week ago was a wonderful treat. We are looking forward to seeing The Jungle Book in two weeks!
  • Posted by: Donna Kostel at 07/01/2013 07:53 PM
    Thank you so much for putting on this great event! As a life-long Disney fan it was wonderful to see the man responsible for the soundtrack to some of my favorite childhood memories. He was as joyful as his songs, it was a morning that I will remember for a long time.
  • Posted by: Karen Halper at 07/01/2013 09:31 PM
    The program was excellent. Mr. Sherman was extremely interesting and entertaining. What a wonderful asset. I am thrilled to have had the opportunity to attend this interview. I hope the Goodman will be able to present more programs of this caliber.
  • Posted by: Penny Wheeler at 07/01/2013 10:55 PM
    An hour and ten minutes of magic and pure delight! Thank you Goodman Theatre for giving me this opportunity to see and hear Richard Sherman talk and perform his songs.
  • Posted by: Beverly at 07/02/2013 07:25 AM
    The breakfast with Richard Sherman and Chris Jones was terrific! I had reserved two seats for my husband and I, luckily we were in the front row, on the left, so that we could see the piano keyboard. We appreciated the questions asked by Mr. Jones to stimulate the memories of Mr. Sherman regarding the invention of the songs for Disney productions. My husband was ambivalent about what he was going to view that morning. Basically, I "drag" him to the theater, but he loved this presentation. Mr.Jones and Mr. Sherman were well-suited similar to "The Actors' Studio." Mr. Sherman allowed the songs to come alive for the audience by playing the piano and by talking about the creation of the songs with his brother, Robert. Mr. Sherman's comments regarding working with Mr. Disney were candid, Disney seemed to be a spirit in the room as Mr. Sherman re-invented the moments of musical creation of the songs, "Supercalifragilistic-expealidious" and "It's a Small World After All." Even the gentle dedication of his talents to his father were thoughtful, as he began his talk. Mr. Jones' questions were like an artist's palette, they allowed Mr. Sherman to focus creating a colorful picture filled with hues of reds, pinks, blues,yellows, and greens through his songs the audience was welcomed back to dreamland. A delightful morning! The food was fine, no protein, just carbs, but that was all right. The food staff worked hard to accommodate the crowd. Beginning comments by staff were articulate and detailed to reflect the behind the scenes efforts of the presentation. The ushers were kind and offered directions to the breakfast. A FANTASTIC morning!!!
  • Posted by: Bernadette Foley at 07/02/2013 09:33 AM
    This was wonderful, he was spectacular. I only wish it would have lasted longer an hour was not enough to hear his stories. I was so impressed with his music, I never realized how many great songs the Sherman brothers wrote.
  • Posted by: Andrew Schultz at 07/02/2013 09:39 AM
    The breakfast was delightful. I had an idiot grin on my face enjoying the charming company of Mr. Sherman and remembering fondly the impact he and his brother had on my youth. I wish we found "The Jungle Book" in execution as fun and enjoyable as the breakfast, but it's clear that at this stage of its development, the show still needs work. "Bare Necessities" and "I Wanna Be Like You" were great numbers, but I have to concur with Chris Jones that the rest doesn't come together coherently yet. But that's why it's here and that's what this experience is for--to get it worked out for the trip East. Good luck!
  • Posted by: Cynthia Katz at 07/02/2013 10:06 AM
    A wonderful experience! We enjoyed it immensely.
  • Posted by: Peggy K. at 07/02/2013 02:37 PM
    What a wonderful morning! The interview with Mr. Sherman was like a show within a show - I could not have hoped for more (other than another few hours of the entertainment!). Thank you to the Tribune, Chris Jones, Mr. Sherman, The Goodman Theatre and all the others who made the event possible. I only wish my children and those who I know adore those songs of lore had accompanied me. Thank you again.
  • Posted by: Gail Radzevich at 07/03/2013 10:25 AM
    We've been subscribers since returning to Chicago four years ago, and have enjoyed the few insider events that we've attended. However, nothing prepared us for the truly inspiring and joyful time we spent with Richard Sherman and Chris Jones! As mentioned by other attendees, Mr. Sherman's storytelling and musical capabilities and Mr. Jones inciteful questions elevated the session way beyond your typical Q&A. Kudos to the Goodman and Chicago Tribune for sponsoring this program!
  • Posted by: Alicia at 07/03/2013 01:33 PM
    The program was absolutely fantastic. We loved the stories interwoven with songs that Mr. Sherman shared. Mr. Sherman's smile and energy was contagious, making the event one of our favorites! Thank you Mr. Sherman and the Goodman for an unforgettable experience!
  • Posted by: Beth Bergmann at 07/03/2013 04:55 PM
    This was wonderful! Mr. Sherman was as charming and engaging as his songs are. I loved his stories and his playing and singing. I could have listened to him for hours. He is a living legend and I'm so gratef for the opportunity to hear him. Thank you!
  • Posted by: rita zralek at 07/08/2013 04:39 PM
    What a delightful, optimistic, intelligent man. Enjoyed every minute. (and thank you for the freebe)
  • Posted by: Sue Langguth at 07/21/2013 08:00 PM
    What a wonderful program! It was such a surprise to hear so many songs from such a wonderful artist. We loved his stories and looked forward to seeing the play which we did yesterday! And we were not disappointed. I had hoped that a video of the program with Mr. Sherman would be available. I wanted to show this to other members of my family who did not attend the program.